3 designs from buddhism t-shirts store

Thursday, January 29, 2009

How to Teach Your Children About Buddhism

By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Padma_S]Padma S

Teaching children about religion and spirituality can be a difficult task for many reasons. There are plenty of Christian children's books on the market, but finding anything else is very difficult. Also, many subjects are often difficult or confusing for children to understand. I admit it, I am no teacher and I faced this issue when I wanted to share my Zen Buddhist beliefs with my children in a manner that opened their minds rather than closed them. In the end, I was able to find some fantastic resources that not only helped my children understand things like birth and death, but also taught them great lessons on compassion, empathy, and spirituality.

The beginning of my problem originated when my children started asking me tough questions about life, death, and suffering. I had answers prepared, but honestly when I went to use them they just didn't sound right. There were so many lessons and ideas that I'd been taught and wanted to share with my children, but I just couldn't seem to find the right way to do it. Then I realized that maybe I could find some Buddhist children's books that might slowly introduce these thoughts to them without getting overcomplicated.

The first route I tried was the local bookstore, which didn't pan out. I went home and started using Google to find Buddhist children's books, but really didn't find anything specifically tailored for children. Eventually, I used Amazon and after some hard searching found exactly what I needed.

There are some fantastic books, if you search hard enough, that teach kids about Buddhist topics such as meditation, compassion, love, respect, and even death/rebirth. I had no idea that there were such simple ways to share these invaluable lessons with children. I wasn't raised as a Buddhist, so everything I learned about it was as an adult. I had no idea how to approach a child. These books turned out to be a lifesaver.

I realized at that point that there are probably thousands of parents out there facing a similar problem and I wondered if there would be any way to compile a list online for parents to find and use. Sure enough, it is possible and if it weren't for me facing this problem I never would have found the solution. I hope you find what you are looking for as well.

For a free Buddhist Book for children, visit the [http://www.buddhistchildrensbooks.com/free-chidrens-ebook/]Buddhist Children's Books Website.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Padma_S http://EzineArticles.com/?How-to-Teach-Your-Children-About-Buddhism&id=1808882

0 comments: